Growing Smartphone Usage Provides New Testing Opportunities
Published on: 27th Aug 2014
The smartphone and other mobile devices market has grown exponentially, and m ore and more users are expecting error free devices, creating a new testing ground for vendors that must find a way to keep ahead of the game, according to the latest report from Heavy Reading Insider.
"As smartphones and other mobile devices have become more ubiquitous, users of such devices have grown to expect them to run error free at all times and in all conditions," says Denise Culver, research analyst with Heavy Reading Insider and author of the report. "A phone that doesn't perform will quickly be returned for another device - especially in a marketplace in which such devices often are provided free of charge to customers who sign contracts."
As vendors increase sales of smartphone test solutions into the marketplace, they have a responsibility to educate their customers about test automation and its proper development, Culver says.
"According to one study, smartphone shipments will reach 1.2 billion units this year; thus, the market for mobile testing is huge and is growing fast," she continues. "As the market continues to expand to include more devices like tablets, wearable devices and other smart technology, testing vendors will have to increase the speed and flexibility with which they're addressing the needs for testing solutions in the market."
- Many customers are struggling to keep pace with the growing mobile market and the amount of testing involved.
- The majority of the smartphone test industry has not evolved or innovated at the same pace as mobile devices have.
- Mobile test automation is a new topic; users don't know what or how to test yet, and thus tend to build up huge, unwieldy testing scenarios.
- Test vendors are finding it challenging to keep pace with device technology and the testing needed to ensure outstanding user experiences.
- Vendors must address device diversity, network challenges and hardware differences in phones.
- Testing automation will continue expanding beyond smartphones to include smart TVs, wearables, appliances, vehicles and more.