Home >> More Operators news >> This Article

USA's Airadigm Communications to Shut-Down its Mobile Network

Published on:

Note -- this news article is more than a year old.

USA based regional operator, Airadigm Communications is to close its services as a stand alone mobile network following the sale of its spectrum and network assets to US Cellular.

US Cellular is paying USD91.5 million for the spectrum and the towers.

Airadigm Communications is selling its assets in parts of Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and Michigan, and will close down its services on the 2nd September once regulatory approval is secured.

Although this looks like one company buying another, it is more a shuffling of assets, as both companies have the same parent group, Telephone and Data Systems (TDS).

TDS owns 62.75% of Airadigm Communications, while the telecoms regulator, the FCC owns the the remaining 37.25% as part of a bankruptcy protection agreement signed in 2009.

At the time TDS said that it would keep the network as an independent operation and not merge with its US Cellular division. Five years later they have changed their mind.

The closure of the Airadigm network will also lead to the loss of 55 staff across its operations.

Sign up for our free email news alerts

Sample Copy

Tags: us cellular  airadigm communications  USA