Home >> More Handsets news >> This Article

Mobile Phone Recycling Scheme Secures Government Support

Published on:

Note -- this news article is more than a year old.

New Zealand's government has given official backing to an industry wide mobile phone recycling programme as an accredited Product Stewardship Scheme.

The New Zealand Telecommunications Forum's (TCF) outgoing Chief Executive David Stone says the scheme -- known as RE:MOBILE is the first e-waste recycling programme in the country to achieve Government accreditation.

"This Government seal of approval of our programme is proof that it has met its environmental requirements for accreditation. Now anyone who wants to recycle their phone knows that they are using an approved scheme," he says.

In 2010, the TCF brought together mobile operators Vodafone, Telecom and 2degrees in a collaborative partnership and the recycling programme was established. All three mobile companies offer recycling drop-in bins and recycling envelopes at their stores.

RE:MOBILE accepts mobile phones, mobile data devices and accessories, and is looking to expand into other products in the future.

Under the programme,around 80% of phones passed on for recycling are refurbished and resold elsewhere in the world. The other 20% are deconstructed, commoditised and their component material is recovered with a better than 95% recycling rate.

To date, the programme has collected 900,000 phones and donated $2.3 million to charity.

Sign up for our free email news alerts

Sample Copy

Tags: tcf  New Zealand