Home >> More Regulatory news >> This Article

Myanmar to Name 4th Mobile Network Shortly

Published on:

Note -- this news article is more than a year old.


Myanmar's fourth mobile network license is set to be awarded later this month, the government has confirmed, after seven companies submitted bids.

The winning bid is to be set up as a joint-venture between the foreign company and a local firm which is being formed from 11 local companies designated by the government.

When set up, the local consortium will own 51 percent of the company, with the foreign investor owning the remaining 49 percent.

"We will choose the foreign partner from seven applicants. I can say now that we're finalizing the process and will issue the license this month," said Chit Wai, deputy permanent secretary of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.

Telenor and Ooredoo are the current two foreign owned mobile networks, competing against the state-owned MPT.

Sign up for our free email news alerts

Sample Copy


Tags: Myanmar