Vietnam's Viettel Wins Mobile Operator License in Burundi
Published on: 17th Feb 2014
By: Simon Davies
Vietnam's military owned mobile network operator Viettel has won a mobile operator license in the African country of Burundi according to various local news reports.
The company itself hasn't said anything to confirm the news, although it was known to be the sole bidder for the license.
It's reported that a holding company, Viettel Burundi will own 95% of the mobile network. It is not known who the other 5 percent shareholder is, although it is likely to be a local businessman based on past experience with mobile licenses.
Viettel Global is now investing in Cameroon and Mozambique. It has recently also announced its plans to enter Kenya and Tanzania. The company's other markets include Laos, Cambodia, Haiti, and Peru
Next Story >> Vodafone UK Signs Up 500,000 LTE Subscriber
Previous Story << Slovak Government to Sell Stake in National Telecoms Operator