Home >> More Handsets news >> This Article

Chinese Woman Reportedly Killed by Electric Shock from Apple iPhone

Published on:

Note -- this news article is more than a year old.

Apple has confirmed that it is carrying out an investigation into reports that a Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock when she used an iPhone that was still plugged into the mains charger.

According to local media reports, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old flight attendant with China Southern Airlines picked up the handset, and iPhone 5 to answer a phone call while it was still connected to the charger, and was electrocuted.

A spokeswoman for Apple said: "We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the ... family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter."

The news was initially reported by Ma's sister via her microblog account. Xinjiang police are also investigating. Ma's sister says that she was using all original Apple accessories.

In 2010, a man in northeast China was killed by an electric shock when making a phone call with a handset that was being recharged with an unauthorized charger, according to the China Consumers Association.

Sign up for our free email news alerts

Sample Copy

Tags: apple iphone  China