Home >> More Business news >> This Article

Softbank Deal to Force Sprint Out of S&P 500 Stock Market Index

Published on:

Note -- this news article is more than a year old.

One of the more subtle side effects of Softbank's takeover of Sprint in the USA is being felt in the S&P 500 stock market index.

Although the deal by Softbank to buy a 70% stake in Sprint is still waiting for final regulatory approval, it is widely expected to get that approval.

As a result of the deal, Sprint's public float is expected to fall substantially below the 50% public float criteria necessary for continued inclusion in the index and the company will be removed from the S&P 500 after the close of trading next Monday.

Softbank is buying a 78% stake in Sprint, while the remaining 22% will stay listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

Sprint's place in the index is being taken by Nielsen Holdings, an information and measurement company.

Sign up for our free email news alerts

Sample Copy

Tags: softbank  sprint nextel  USA