Thai Billionaire Defends DTAC Shareholding Structure
Published on: 18th Feb 2013
Note -- this news article is more than a year old.
By: Ian Mansfield
Thailand's billionaire founder of the mobile network operator DTAC has defended the current shareholder arrangements at the company as being in compliance with the law on foreign shareholder limits.
The company's largest single shareholder in Norway's Telenor, who directly own 42.61% of the company.
However, Telenor also owns a 49% stake in another holding company, Thai Telco -- with the other 51% owned by Boonchai Bencharongkul. Thai Telco in turn owns 22.42% of DTAC.
The two stakes add up to Telenor effectively owning 53.6 percent of the Thai mobile network.
However, as Telenor is a minority shareholder in Thai Telco, that company is not considered foreign, and its entire stake in DTAC is deemed to be locally owned.
Bencharongkul also said that DTAC is interested in bidding for 25MHz of bandwidth on the 1800MHz band, now run by True Move and AIS's Digital Phone under CAT Telecom concessions set to expire in September.
"We'll soon ask the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission whether we have the right to enter the spectrum auction," he added.
On the web: Bangkok Post
Next Story >> Best Buy Takes Action to Curb "Showrooming"
Previous Story << ip.access passes the one million small cell milestone