Smartphone Users Push Demand for Mobile Web Optimization Tools
The accelerated growth in use of smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices to access Web content is driving demand for tools and applications that optimize Websites for viewing on mobile platforms, according to the latest report from Heavy Reading.
"As the number of smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices continues to escalate, access to company websites is beginning to take place more frequently from mobile devices than from PCs or laptops," notes Denise Culver, research analyst with Heavy Reading Mobile Networks Insider and author of the report. "Several vendors have developed mobile site optimization solutions to help enterprises mobilize their websites."
Implementing mobile site optimization will continue to be a key factor for enterprises over the next two years, Culver predicts.
"Building customer loyalty and making it easier for customers to spend money via wireless devices are just two examples of why mobile site optimization is an important tool for enterprises today," she says. "Customers expect mobile sites to have the same - or better - functionality on mobile websites, with features like click-to-call and geo-location. And as mobile site optimization continues to develop alongside the increased number of mobile devices in the marketplace, customers will demand more of such sites."
Key findings of Mobile Growth Spurs Web Optimization Efforts include:
- Small businesses make up a key market for mobile site optimization because consumers often find small, local businesses while on the go.
- Retail is a strong vertical for mobilizing Web content, largely because it achieves the best results in mobilizing a geographically disperse audience to a particular location and time.
- As the number of mobile devices proliferates, they will become the primary way to access data, find information and communicate.
- Easier tools and platforms to manage mobile Web will help enterprises from all regions to become more mobile and drive mobile site optimization strategies.
- One key challenge the market faces is increased device fragmentation and complexity of devices when visiting a website.