100 Commercial LTE Networks in 49 Countries Now Live
The trade association, 4G Americas reports that 100 operators have now launched commercial LTE services in 49 countries, 67 of which were launched in the past 12 months. The most recent public announcement was the launch of LTE by regional network operator C-Spire Wireless in the USA.
"The tide is rising for LTE deployments worldwide," stated Chris Pearson, President of 4G Americas. "We are now seeing more than a doubling of LTE network launches annually since the first two launches in 2009, and there are more than 340 additional operator commitments to LTE."
"Although the majority of the LTE deployments are FDD networks, there are also nine commercial LTE TDD systems launched on five continents of the world," said Vicki Livingston, Head of Communications for 4G Americas.
- 133 commercial LTE networks are expected by the end of 2012.
- Over 440 total commitments to LTE by network operators to date
- Total number of LTE connections reached 27.7 million at the end of second quarter 2012
- 16 LTE commercial networks deployed in Canada and USA.
- 15.4 million LTE connections, representing 56 percent of global LTE connections at the end of second quarter 2012
- 7 LTE commercial networks with deployments in Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Uruguay