Kyocera Shows Off Dual-Screen Android Smartphone
Published on: 8th Feb 2011
Note -- this news article is more than a year old.
As was widely leaked earlier in the day, yesterday evening, Sprint Nextel showed off the first dual screen Android smartphone, the Kyocera Echo. This Android 2.2 based device features two 3.5 inch WVGA touchscreen displays connected by a patent pending "pivot hinge" that enables the two displays to operate independently, side by side or combined to form an oversized 4.7 inch (diagonally) integrated display.
In its closed position, Kyocera Echo is a standard single-display smartphone. When opened into "Simul-Task Mode" the handset can support two of the phone's seven core apps (messaging, e-mail, Web browsing, phone, gallery, contacts and VueQue) running concurrently but independently on the dual displays.
"Sprint is proud to boast the most powerful Android portfolio available today and Echo adds to that legacy with industry-leading technology that will change the way our customers use smartphones," said Sprint CEO Dan Hesse. "Today's busy schedules often demand that we do at least two things at once. Kyocera Echo is the first device that allows us to do a different task on each of two screens while also providing a tablet-like, larger screen experience that easily fits in a pocket when closed."
Kyocera Echo will be available this spring for $199.99 with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade and after a $100 mail-in rebate.
Kyocera Echo also includes customized apps optimized for the dual-screen Optimized Mode experience including VueQue, which lets users watch a YouTube video on one display while browsing, queuing and buffering additional YouTube videos on the other display.
- Sprint's nationwide 3G network and Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
- Wi-Fi hotspot capability, which supports wireless connections for up to five devices
- 5-megapixel camera with flash, autofocus and digital zoom
- 720p HD camcorder
- Corporate (Exchange ActiveSync) and personal (POP & IMAP) e-mail, IM (Google Talk), text messaging
- Media player with a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack
- Stereo Bluetooth 2.1 (+ EDR)
- Full HTML Web browser with Google Search
- 1GHz Snapdragon processor (QSD 8650 Android)
- 1 gigabyte (GB) of onboard memory and an 8GB microSD card for the external memory card slot supporting cards up to 32GB
- Voice and text prompts in both English and Spanish