Home >> More Statistics news >> This Article

Brazil Has More Mobile Phones than People

Published on:

Note -- this news article is more than a year old.

Brazil's telecoms regulator has announced that there are now more mobile phones in the country in use than there are people.

The 100% penetration mark was reached in October when just under 3 million new subscriptions were recorded, bringing the total to 194,439250, and a teledensity of 100.44 lines per 100 inhabitants.

In October, 12 Brazilian states already had more than one cellphone per capita: Distrito Federal, Sao Paulo, Mato Grosso do Sul, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Sul, Goias, Mato Grosso, Santa Catarina, Rondonia, Espírito Santo, Paraná and Pernambuco.

Of the total number of phones, 159.82 million (82.19%) are prepaid. The remaining 34.63 million (17.81%) are postpaid contract customers.

Some charts released by the regulator

Operators by Market Share

Company Subscriber Base Market Share
Vivo 58,397,402 30.03%
Claro 49,740,391 25.58%
Tim 47,972,907 24.67%
Oi 37,621,539 19.35%
CTBC 608,697 0.31%
Sercomtel 78,029 0.04%
Unicel 20,285 0.01\%

Technology Breakdown

Technology Subscriber Base Market Share
GSM 170,983,501 87.94%
WCDMA 12,926,243 6.65%
Data Terminal 5,783,652 2.97%
CDMA 4,674,815 2.40%
TDMA 71,039 0.04%

Sign up for our free email news alerts

Sample Copy

Tags: antel  Brazil