China's multimedia phone market experienced rapid development in 2006 in terms of available models and total shipments, reports In-Stat. The music playback function was the biggest driver to the growth of the multimedia phone market in China last year, the high-tech market research firm says.
"In-Stat's latest survey shows that camera capability is an under-served function for China's phone users, which suggests there is still plenty of room for market growth," says Raymond Yan, In-Stat analyst. "Future drivers for the multimedia phone market will stem from content availability, continuous improvements in semiconductor solutions, higher data rate wireless technologies, and the combination between mobile phones and web 2.0 networks."
In-Stat research also found the following:
- Multimedia phone shipments in China will reach 165.0 million in 2011, representing a penetration rate of 81%.
- High-pixel camera phones will be the next competitive focus in China's multimedia phone market.
- Mobile phone makers are aiming to change cellphones into personal communication and entertainment centers.
- Chinese mobile users show a strong preference for combined MP3 players/mobile phones.
- Around 70% of Chinese music phone and camera phone owners express strong interest in more high-end equipment.
- Chinese mobile users express strong interest in mobile phones capable of playing video and receiving broadcast TV programming.
|Previous Story||Next Story|